Understanding Survivor Benefits With The Help Of An Experienced Lawyer
Disability Benefits for Surviving Family Members
If someone who has worked enough and paid enough in Social Security taxes to qualify for disability benefits dies — the money they paid into the system doesn’t just disappear. In fact, some or all of the retirement benefits that worker would have been entitled to can be paid to the deceased worker’s eligible dependents.
Your loved one didn’t get a chance to benefit from paying Social Security taxes. You might. My name is Michael G. Myers and as an attorney, I can help you get the survivor benefits you and your family deserve, provided you qualify. Call me directly or contact my law offices to talk about this issue and learn more about your rights.
Are You Eligible for Survivor Benefits?
If your loved one worked and paid Social Security taxes for a long enough period of time, you may be eligible to receive disability benefits based on their work history.
Survivor benefits for spouses can generally be broken down as follows:
- A surviving spouse (65 years or older) generally receives full benefits
- A surviving spouse (60 years or older) receives anywhere from 71 to 99 percent of their deceased spouse’s basic benefit amount
- A surviving spouse (any age) who has a child under 16, receives 75 percent of the basic benefit amount
Other family members may qualify for survivor benefits if they fall into one of the following categories:
- Dependent parents (age 62 or older) who received at least one-half of their support from the deceased child
- Unmarried children under 18 or up to age 19 if they are attending elementary or secondary school full time
- Adult children who were disabled before age 22 and remain disabled
- Disabled widows and widowers (aged 50 or older)
- Stepchildren, grandchildren, step-grandchildren, adopted children and divorced spouses (under limited circumstances)
All Disability, All the Time …
There Is No Fee Unless You Receive Benefits
Indianapolis Area: 317-489-4066 / Indiana Toll Free: 888-339-4149
As a lawyer, I handle SSD and SSI claims and appeals for people throughout the central Indiana region. Schedule a free consultation with me today by calling either of the telephone numbers above, or by completing a short online contact form.